Sell Better Online with Our 10 E-Commerce SEO Strategies
As we near December, the end of a busy year again, website owners who are focused on e-commerce want to get more interest, more clicks and more selling of their goods going. This means an overhaul of current strategy or a change in the way things are presently being done. Some website owners test their success rates by reviewing the look of their website and trying out new marketing ideas. Have you thought of your website content? Have you thought about making sure Google sees you by updating and recharging your SEO?
SEO Must be Trendy and Relevant
Making sure your SEO is current and topical and relevant to e-commerce is very important when it comes to being recognised by search engines. It is also a real challenge to rewrite content in accordance with what’s trending.
Read our 10 SEO boosting tactics to increase your online sales:
- Use strategic keywords – use your own individualised descriptions of your product instead of copying other descriptions. You know your product best so be creative with your content and insert as many relevant keywords as possible so that you know people will find you in their searches
- Social media counts – make sure you have at least 3 social media buttons on your product pages so that you can expand your information about your product on these platforms. Most common social sites include Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, Tumblr and LinkedIn. This way your friends can send the message into the search engine ether and search engines can see that you are serious about your business and may give you some credit.
- Deal with expired pages – if you want to be good at SEO, you need to make sure your old or expired URLs for some product pages are forwarded to a central place with a 301 redirect. You can use a clever message page that directs users to another page. You can move all your old content to a permanent 301 redirect page and avoid losing it.
- Enhance your website for cell phone users – make sure your website has been revamped to look great on the screen of a mobile phone. Most people search the internet by mobile phone these days and don’t want to see too much content. Your information needs to be concise, visual and technologically advanced with interactive apps and specific logos and icons and things.
- Improve your photographs – make them smaller so that they load quicker. Website users want instant gratification and are often watching the time. You want good quality images but you want speed too. You can make images smaller but allow the user to zoom in if need be.
- Name your photographs – use keyworded labels for each image that aptly describes it. The tag you choose for your images will get used on Google images and will assist you with rankings. This is an art in itself.
- Highlight category pages – your category pages are important but be careful of overdoing it. Keep the URLs for these pages short and sweet and key word rich but don’t overdo the keywords. For example, your URL could look like this:co.za/category/
- Improve internal search engine results – you want internet traffic to go to your internal pages so make sure your meta data is correctly written with no errors. Use the right content and language to drive people to seek more information on your website. You want users to find the product they are looking for!
- Get Secure Socket Layers (SSL) certificate – make sure you are safe from internet hackers and fraud. You need to protect your users’ emails and passwords by allowing HTTPS – using SSL ensures Google ranks you even better.
- Use Google’s rich snippets – this will make sure users see you and your products and gives them more information. You can teach your visitors about your product prices using schema markups and they will continue to click through your website from the first search engine results page.
Revise, revise, revise and move forward
The best way to market your products is to be on top of the game – you need good content and trending keywords, you need up to date SEO which means ongoing research and education, you need to check what your competitors are doing and stay one step ahead, you need to find all errors on your site and fix them, you need to constantly update product information, you need to list your social media links and ensure that you have a blog that will add more clicks to your website too. We hope that this helps you gain more business as you enhance your e-commerce strategies and get more online sales!